Hive smart thermostat by British Gas can be used to set schedules for your home’s heating system. Once set up correctly, your heating system will turn on/off automatically. The process is very straightforward and user-friendly. However, you have to make sure you have selected the correct ‘mode’ and ‘temperature’ in the app. If your hive heating coming on when not scheduled, then read on!
You can set heating schedules either by:
Using the Hive smart phone app
Hive smart thermostat
If you have a hive mini thermostat, then you can NOT set schedules using the thermostat, you will have to use the hive smart phone app.
Is your Hive heating coming on when not scheduled?
If your hive heating is coming on when not scheduled, then there could be a few different reason for this. Firstly, make sure the ‘ready by’ option is turned off. To check this:
- head to the hive app
- select heating
- on the top right of the screen, select the settings icon
- at the bottom of the screen, you will see ‘Ready by’
- select this, and on the next screen, make sure it is turned off
‘Ready by’ is a function in the Hive heating system. It learns how long your home takes to warm up to the desired temperature. If this function is turned on, your heating system will ‘turn on’ before the scheduled time to reach the desired temperature at the scheduled time. The maximum lead time is up to an hour before the scheduled time.
Have you selected the correct heating mode?
The other reason for your hive heating turned on when not scheduled, is ‘wrong heating mode’.
- Open the hive app on your smart phone
- Select heating
- In the next screen, at the bottom of the screen you will see three options: Manual, Schedule and Off
- If ‘manual‘ mode is selected, your heating will continuously stay on, until you turn it off
- Make sure you have selected ‘schedule‘
- This will activate the heating schedule and you heating will turn on/off at scheduled times
The reasons mentioned above are the two main reasons for hive heating coming on when not scheduled. If your issue is still not resolved, then make sure:
- there are no error messages on hive thermostat and it is showing as connected on the screen
- hive hub is switched on and connected to internet
- There are no flashing lights on hive receiver, you will find your receiver next to your boiler
- if you find out there is a problem with your hive system itself, then read our complete Hive troubleshooting guide here